Sunday 13 March 2016

Children Matter

Vulnerable Children PD

Last week we had a very informative professional development session on vulnerable children and child abuse.

The first thing that really shocked me was the high statistics New Zealand has around child abuse. New Zealand has the fifth worst child abuse record out of 31 OECD countries (According to the most recent study). I also found out that nearly 9,000 children per year are born “at risk” (1 in every 30).

There are four main types of abuse that we learnt about; Sexual abuse, Physical Abuse, Neglect and Emotional Abuse. As teachers we have a lot of interaction with children and so we need to be aware of the possible signs of child abuse so that we can keep an eye out for children at risk. During the session, Lou taught me that when it comes to abuse we need to be logical and aware of any changes to our students’ behaviour, attitude or dress.



I also learnt a lot about student disclosure, what to look out for and how to react to it. It’s very important to be on the lookout for any signs of an abuse disclosure because they can be very subtle! It’s also important not to promise that you can ‘keep the secret’. Knowing the appropriate way to talk to children about a disclosure and who to go to when it happens is essential.
I learnt that if you do need to ask more clarifying questions (not investigation questions) to get more information, you can use questions like, ‘how come?’, ‘tell me about it’, ‘explain what you mean’ or ‘describe that’. Rather than yes or no questions or leading questions.

I enjoyed learning more about vulnerable children in our community and the signs to look out for. Luckily for me I haven’t had any children suffering from abuse in my classroom so far, but I definitely feel more prepared to deal with any vulnerable children that I come across in the future. I think that Vulnerable Children’s PD is very worthwhile and hope that all teachers get the chance to be involved in a session.


Hannah

4 comments:

  1. I went to Lou's day seminar and was so glad I did. Over the years I have worked with children who have been victims of abuse. Like most teachers I think back and wonder about any children I missed. Those children who made me wonder but that I didn't follow up on. Lou's seminar was great for reassuring me that we all need to speak up and follow our instincts when we think something's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I was also at Lou's session and I was also glad that I did. I really liked the way you took the session and reflected on your own practice. By reading what you have written, I am also remembering what was covered. A great blog reflection and I love the way you think. Keep it up and keep up those queries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah I'm pleased to hear that you found this session with Lou so informative and useful. I initially went to a whole day session with Lou and realised how important it was for all our staff to hear the same message. As you have mentioned the statistics are frightening but this just highlights the urgency for us all to recognise the signs and symptoms and how we can address these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The message I received from Lou over three sessions was that we in schools can step up to solve any solveable issues, and to report the matters we have no influence over. Great sessions, challenging in a very positive way.

    ReplyDelete